In 1913, Frank P. O’Connor opened a small candy store in Toronto where he sold hand-made chocolates. He named his store after Laura Secord, the Canadian heroine who was a symbol of courage, devotion, and loyalty.
Laura Secord began as a single shop on Yonge Street in Toronto. O’Connor turned the flat above the shop into a kitchen and prepared his own products.
Success prompted the company’s expansion across Ontario and Quebec.
In the 1930s, an office was opened in Winnipeg and pharmacies began carrying Laura Secord products.